Thursday, August 16, 2012

Ode to the Ikot Jeepney (that took me from CHK to Math building)


Watching it coming was a relief,
The yellow roof seemed to
Mimic the sun’s brightness as
It trekked along the rough
Cements of reality.  It halted in front of me,
As if saying  I’m your savior
Ride quickly.  I can feel its tires
Rolling again as the wind
Budged my dry hair and cooled
My face.  The air felt so good.
It made its journey to the
University Avenue, passed by
The statue of the Oblation,
Slowed as it approached a bump
In the road.  The whir
Of its machinery filled the air
Along the bunch
Of houses in the Residence area.
Then this high-powered, open
Automobile joined the cluster
Of vehicles in the Krus na Ligas.
The violent city was not a rigor
To its sturdy structure.
At some point, the wheels twisted
And entered the University gate
Carrying the iskos and iskas with pride.
As it braked hard, I joined the tumult
Of shoe wears, emerging from the jeepney,
Walking to where fate
Would take them.  I took
A deep breath, glanced at my watch
And grinned.
 I still have five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment