Thursday, August 16, 2012

Wish Upon a Paper Star


Green star. I chose a green paper star though it doesn’t really look that attractive.  My mother told me to write my wish for Christmas at the back of the star so that some magical angels of Jesus will make it come true.  When we went to mass, my eyes lingered upon a huge Christmas tree made up of paper stars with a variety of colors.  My mom said one of those is mine.  I spent the whole period of the mass guessing which of those is my star.
            The memories were still clear as they used to be and I can still feel the horrible pain engulfed in my knees when I was tortured to kneel on a floor of salt and mongo seeds.  It was a punishment for breaking the star that was supposed to be the crowning glory of our Christmas tree that year.
            Let me explain it.  My mother was in the laundry room that time washing our clothes.  I and my little sister stole some chocolates from the refrigerator and we decided to escape from the eyes of the tiger by eating at the porch.  Now our porch that time was a devastating scene of Christmas decorations scattered everywhere.  My tongue was about to capture the sweetest stolen taste when I saw a bullfrog leaping towards me.  The excitement of tasting the chocolates was overshadowed by the fear of the leaping creature.  My poor feet ran in all directions until it stepped onto something hard, something precious- I thought I was dead that time.  I never told my mother of what happened.  She never knew that it was the frog’s fault.  She wouldn’t care anyway.
            You’d be surprised to know that the frog’s name was Dolly.  My sister named her after the first cloned sheep and until now, it didn’t make sense at all to me.  She thought the frog was her friend while I considered it a beast.  We always have a fight about that. It’s quite absurd when you picture it out.  More often than not, my sister will end the argument by reiterating lessons she know we both knew from our Christian Living and Values Education class.
            I consider myself fortunate for having been sent in a private sectarian school where I first experienced being shouted by a teacher because I forgot to make the Sign of the Cross before reciting “The Lord’s Prayer”.  My juvenile mind would always look forward every first Friday of the month when we’re obliged to the mass and holidays of obligation when no classes were conducted.  Students in our school were automatically considered as part of the elite class. Only few were privileged to enroll in the school.  When I asked our maid why her son wasn’t enrolled in the same school as I, she reasoned out that they’re poor.  “And we’re not?” asked.  She said we’re rich and I love it.  So, I spent my childhood thinking that we’re rich.
            The jeepney to school would pass by a beautiful scene of the sea kissing the sky.  It would always leave me admiring the beauty the world has to offer.  I was feasting my eyes upon the usual panorama unfolding before me when I suddenly bumped into the person beside me.  I dread that road repair project because it made the vehicle experience rude bumps.  Actually, I didn’t understand why that path had to be repaired when it wasn’t ruined in the first place.  I saw a big picture of two people beside the road that was under construction.  I recognized both of them.  They once visited our house during the town fiesta.
            I couldn’t describe how busy my mother was when those two persons in the picture confirmed that they will pay us a visit.  She hung curtains I saw for the first time.  The table cloth was at its best color.  These two men entered the house with two or three men in sunglasses and pistols following them.  I heard phrases like congressman and governor so I assumed that they held the position.  I was surprised how our maid managed to give them a wide grin while serving them a glass of soft drinks when I though she doesn't like them at all.
            By the way, I haven’t told you I curse but never at home unless if I want to kneel in another set of salt and mongo seeds.  A classmate in High school asked me if what’s wrong with cursing.  I told her I don’t know.  Nevertheless, she curses more than I do.  She once cursed a guy who would first touch my lips in two years time.
            Did I tell you that the chocolates we sneaked from the refrigerator bore the sweetest stolen taste? Now, I was wrong.
            The darkness of the night penetrated the starless skies when the whispers of two timid souls filled the cold breeze.  After a while I found my anxious lips sharing a moment of teenage sweetness.  I have to tell you it was worth more than all the stolen chocolates in the world.
            The world grew with me and the blazing flames of reality conquered my mind every now and then.  Mom told me I was still young.  She told me I had gone insane.  Her sharp words pierced through me. I don’t understand why I cried upon hearing what she said.  How I wish she would just let me kneel on another set of salt and mongo seeds.  With my confused views and principles, the world’s own perception and fast revolution rattle my mind.  Our maid gave me a pitiful look.  My little sister looked away.  Suddenly, the stolen chocolates, the frog, the sea-kissing-sun, the road under repair and the two persons in the picture didn’t make sense at all.  I felt all alone.  How I wish some magical angels of Jesus would help me.
            I forgot to tell my mom that the wish I wrote on the green paper star was still a blurred vision from my imagination.


My CW 10 teacher tasked us to write whatever it is that comes to our mind- random events random things, correlations between the paragraphs aren't even necessary.  Here is my output.  It's not good. I am no writer and this blog was not meant to be read by everyone.

Cheers!
DMD

No comments:

Post a Comment